About the show
He is one of the greatest entertainers of all time. Now, Michael Jackson’s unique and unparalleled artistry has finally arrived on Broadway in a brand-new musical. Centered around the making of his 1992 Dangerous World Tour, and created by Tony Award®-winning Director/Choreographer Christopher Wheeldon and two-time Pulitzer Prize winner Lynn Nottage, MJ goes beyond the singular moves and signature sound of the star, offering a rare look at the creative mind and collaborative spirit that catapulted Jackson into legendary status. Turn it up, Broadway — MJ is here!
The cast includes: Elijah Rhea Johnson, Apollo Levine, Whitney Bashor, and Tavon Olds-Sample.
Creative Team: Based on the music of Michael Jackson; Book by Lynn Nottage; direction and choreography by Christopher Wheeldon; Musical Supervision, Orchestrations, and Arrangements by David Holcenberg; Musical Direction, Orchestrations, and Arrangement by Jason Michael Webb; Scenic Design by Derek McLane; Lighting Design by Natasha Katz; Costume Design by Paul Tazewell; Sound Design by Gareth Owen; Projection Design by Peter Nigrini; Hair and Wig Design by Charles LaPointe; Makeup Design by Joe Dulude II; Associate Director Dontee Kiehn; Associate Choreographer Michael Balderrama; Casting by The Telsey Office and Rachel Hoffman, CSA; Production Stage Manager Julia Jones; Michael Jackson Movement by Rich & Tone Talauega; Electronic Music Design by Strange Cranium and Billy Jay Stein; and Music Coordination by John Miller.
Did You Know:
- MJ the Musical was nominated for 10 Tony Awards and won four: Best Actor in a Musical for Myles Frost, Best Choreography for Christopher Wheeldon and Rich + Tone Talauega, Best Lighting Design for a Musical for Natasha Katz, and Best Sound Design of a Musical for Gareth Owen.
- Lynn Nottage, who wrote the book for MJ the Musical, has received the Pulitzer Prize for Drama twice: once in 2009 for her play Ruined and again in 2017 for her play Sweat. She is the first and only woman to have won the Pulitzer Prize for Drama twice.
- Director and choreographer Christopher Wheeldon also directed and choreographed the musical An American in Paris.
- The original Broadway cast recording for MJ was released on July 15, 2022 and was nominated for a Grammy Award for Best Musical Theater Album.
- MJ the Musical will have a production in London’s West End in 2024.